Sunday, March 20, 2016

HALTERES- THE PLANET; THE CHARACTER

Following the advice of my good friend, Shannon, I'm going to give you a little more insight into Halteres.  I know it goes against what innumerable 'experts' advise, but Halteres is the main character of...Halteres.

It is protagonist.  It is antagonist.  It is setting, conflict and theme.  Without Halteres there would be no...Halteres.

Now I obviously can't tell you everything about Halteres.  I want you to discover that by reading the novel (Halteres).  I can, however, try to explain why it is so important to not only the novel's content, but to the very existence of the novel.

I can't tell you exactly when the structure of Halteres first occurred to me.  Maybe I could go back into my archives and journals and random notes and find its initial sketch.  For now, I'll just put it at about ten years.  Other elements of the story have histories that extend far beyond that, but we're talking about...Halteres.

For years, the unique structure of Halteres has been floating around in my mind like a sub-atomic particle trapped in my cornea.  As with any worldbuilding enterprise, I began to sculpt the world.  I began to landscape it.  I began to populate it.  Then, I began moving the pieces and creating a story.

And always, Halteres dictated the plot.  It created the obstacles and opportunities for the players, and it presented endless possibilities for creativity.

I can now tell you with much certainty that Halteres holds the same power over me that it does the characters in the novel.  It is a literary conduit for a power I could not conjure myself.  In the story, its structure is what allows the Kynoi to exist in its form, what allows the Arca Trochia to thrive, and what induced the singular conception of Nyk.  In my creative life, it has provided the fertile soil in which to plant my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment