Saturday, October 22, 2016

HALTERES FORM AND FUNCTION

I forgot what I was going to say.  Oh yeah, form and function.  I've been thinking a lot about these things lately.  Let's analogize!

Form- the structure of something; anatomy
Function- the mechanism of something; physiology

We all know by now that the form of Halteres, singular, magnificent, elegant, leads to its function, the workshop of the Kynoi.  This construct, this element drives everything that happens in the novel.  Halteres is the form and function of...HALTERES!

Form and function have been popping up everywhere in and around this project.  Examples...

*I need to go back and make sure that everything of any significant form in Halteres has a corresponding function.  Characters, settings, action must all serve a purpose if they're taking up space in my book.  It's a lot like life.

* Rejection letters- Their form is, well, form.  No advice, no encouragement.  Just...'unfortunately'.  Their function must be to motivate, not deflate.  I must use them to drive and make Halteres better.

* My own form and function.  I'm a machine, right now not well oiled, that must produce Bad Ass Sci Fi.  Take better care of myself and become the vehicle of relentlessness.  Shut up.

* My work.  The form- something that is tolerable, makes me marginal amounts of money, and is somewhat flexible.  The function must be to take full advantage of the flexibility and ensure I don't have to keep doing it forever. 

Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to be allowed to do the things you do.

Aside-

No one gets there on their own
But the want is yours alone.

Oh, yeah.  I finally figured out how Halteres Minor's days work and why it can't sustain life!  Due to its vertical spin on the ecliptic plane, it has two cycles of daylight for each horizontal rotation of Halteres General.  Brilliant.  Genius.  Obvious.  Shut up.

Anywho, out.  I'm forming the function of a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment