Monday, May 1, 2017

1979- THE DAWN OF BAD ASS SCI FI

So, I was thinking about what constitutes BAD ASS SCI FI, and my mind went straight to movies.  I started making a list, by year, of what I consider the most BAD ASS SCI movies of all time.  For those of you who've read my fine work (thank you RJT, MMM, SLB, HH, CS, LC, EE, and all you other beautiful trolls), you know...you know.


Halteres was supposed to be (IS, DAMN IT!) Mad Max, Avatar, and Lord of the Rings meet Star Wars and kick its f***ing Ass.

Opposable is more On The Road (thanks for the reference, RJT) meets Re-Animator and gives Halteres a big ol' hug from behind.  See above, and yes, I just used my first book to help describe my second book.  Again, if you've been paying attention, you'll get it.  And if you haven't, PAY ATTENTION!

Anyway, where was I?  Oh yeah, Sci Fi flicks, influence, and NOT coincidence.  I got a list through 1989, and boy howdy, there are some years that really stand out.  I'll get to the eighties in a future post, because...

I was born in the 60's, but the 80's brought me to life.  Mic...drop...

But what about '77?  Says you.  Says me, yes, Star Wars and Close Encounters changed the landscape of science fiction cinema.  Yes, they are both extraordinary films, and the former an almost miraculous enterprise.  No, I do not consider them BAD ASS SCI FI.  Boooooo!, say the nose bleeders.  Too safe, too formulaic, too commercial.  No hate here, just perspective.

Point of reference; I have the box set for Star Wars 1-6.  I also have the box sets for the the three universes mentioned below.  Guess which one I've watched but once.

1979- THREE BIG DADDIES OF BAD ASS SCI FI
  • Alien- Ridley Scott- Released May 25, 1979- I was 11 when this first came out.  'In space, no one can hear you scream.'  I was terrified of this movie before I even saw it...years later.  The perfect blend of science fiction and horror.  If you think it's slow, it's not, it's f***ing tense!  To this day, it's one of the few films I have to hide my eyes while watching.  Not to mention the immaculate effects, outstanding acting, and incredible soundtrack.  You know, I'm big on Epic Trailer and Soundtrack music.  Plus, it hatched two of my other favs; Aliens and Prometheus.  Can't wait for Covenant!!!
  • Mad Max- George Miller- Released April 12, 1979- The father of all punk, post-apocalyptic, nitro-fueled movie mayhem!  I gotta give this flick its due.  What George Miller and Byron Kennedy accomplished through sheer grit is nuts.  The vision, the balls, the profit, and the legacy.  It is truly inspiring.  They had an idea and gave a big middle sausage to anyone who stood in their way.  Plus, it hatched two of my other favs; The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) and Fury Road.  The soundtrack to Fury Road is my favorite of all time.  All...time... 
  • Phantasm- Don Coscarelli- Released March 28, 1979- This one is just weird.  I love it!  A Tall Man ('Boy!') from another dimension shape shifts into a sexy woman, kills horny guys in cemeteries, and turns their dead bodies into zombie little people who kill more in a never ending plot to take over the world.  Genius.  This is the blueprint for how to have a bonkers idea and turn it into a lasting legacy.  Kudos, Mr. Coscarelli!  Plus, it hatched two of my other faves; Phantasm II and Phantasm: Ravager.  The soundtrack?  Brilliantly hokey!
So, I was pretty much on my way to weirdness before the 80's even began.  Next, I'll tell you how that decade really F***ed me up.

Until then, don't bother me, I'm freaking out about a book!


No comments:

Post a Comment