Sunday, August 28, 2016

THE PHYSICS OF CREATIVITY

Now I don't claim to be any kind of physics genius, I just thought it'd be interesting to use some hard science as an analogy for the creative process.

Let's start with Newton's Laws of writing (I mean motion).

First Law: When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a net force.

i.e. An object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion, unless somebody uses the force on it.

As for the creative process, the comparison is pretty self-explanatory.  Just keep writing and you’ll keep writing.  Don't let the force stop you, let it keep you going...accelerating!

Second Law: In an inertial reference frame, the vector sum of the forces F on an object is equal to the constant mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector a of the object: F = ma.

i.e.  If a body is accelerating, then the force is being used on it.

This all has to do with momentum.  It’s easy to consider the body of work (writing) as mass and the process as acceleration.  The more of each you have, the more force…and momentum.  Lately I’ve felt like a giant lead ball in a puddle of mud; a lot of mass, but no acceleration.  I need to gain momentum and keep it!

Third Law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

i.e. For every action, there in an equal and opposite reaction.

Recently, the actions in my life have caused net negative reactions to my writing.  I need to make sure that the actions I take on a continuous (not continual) basis have positive net reactions on my writing.  I have to remember where I am and why I’m there.

A little foray into the Second Law of Thermodynamics:

Second law of thermodynamics: In a natural thermodynamic process, the sum of the entropies of the interacting thermodynamic systems increases.

i.e. Entropy- lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.

So, without a massive input of energy, or equally huge transfer of entropy, my world gradually declines into a state of disorder.  My main challenge, as far as writing, consists of maintaining a lack of predictability while diminishing disorder.  In order to do that, I need to put tremendous amounts of effort into keeping entropy at bay.  It needs to put elsewhere.  I need more focus, and less distraction.  Don’t worry, once I add some equilibrium to my homeostasis, I’ll be fine.

Damn, out of space and time, and just as I was about to get into writing and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  Hail Heisenberg!

So until next time; Don’t bother me, I’m threorizing a book.

3 comments: