Tuesday, August 9, 2016

HALTERES- CMEs and EMPs and ATIs- OH MY!

I hope you don't mind indulging me in my little forays into tangential background information.  It really helps me sort out some of the details that may need sprucing up in my novel, and I hope it gives you some insight and piques your interest in this Bad Ass Sci Fi project!

As you remember (probably not, I originally posted Bad Asstronomy about four months ago), Halteres exists in a fictional solar system orbiting within the habitable zone of a fictional star; Hestia.  It has one known celestial partner (not a moon) that orbits a little deeper in Hestia's Goldilocks zone.  This Earth-sized, waterlogged planet is known as Clach Nearth.

So...CMEs, EMPs, and ATIs???  Okay, Okay!!!  I'm gonna summarize the poop out of this, I've got a book to revise!

Halteres' orbital distance from Hestia is about 0.6881 AU (or 64 million miles).  Due to its tremendously unique structure, its orbit adheres perfectly to Hestia's orbital plane with almost zero inclination.

Clach Nearth orbital distance is 0.6968 AU (or 64.8 million miles).  Clach Nearth's orbit is slightly askew of Hestia's orbital plane.

Based on the relative orbital periods of Halteres and Clach Nearth, they achieve syzygy every 30 years.  When this occurs, the two planets are but 800K miles apart.  Pretty close by cosmic standards.  When the alignment occurs on the orbital plane, a super syzygy results.  This happens once every 3000 years.

SO!?  So, during the last super syzygy (almost 3000 years ago), massive tidal forces threatened to tear Halteres apart and triggered devastating Coronal Mass Ejections (solar flares) that rendered Halteres electromagnetically impotent.  Even the smaller syzygys bear theses effects out to a lesser effect and to this day, no standard electronic devices are operational on over half of Halteres.

I do ramble.  Anyway, someone has designed devices that concentrate and control the CME effect.  EMPs are now being used to test the functionality of the SCATHE.

But everyone knows that the only way to construct operational electronic devices on most of Halteres is through the utilization of ATI (Arca Trochial Induction).  Thank the Kynoi the Arca Trochia is accommodating.  But Why?

Don't ask me,and don't bother me, I'm disambiguating a book.




1 comment:

  1. I like that Hestia is a female star. I'm assuming that on Clach Nearth there are similar problems with electronic devices. Not that you would need an electronic device in order to surf to begin with. Thanks for the pique.

    ReplyDelete