Wednesday, June 14, 2017

THE LOST BOYS NEAR DARK ON A FRIGHT NIGHT


Most of my miserable life lies dormant in a chrysalis of hate, but it's time likes these that a little joy peckers its stupid little beak in.  The Cryptomorph emerges, rattles the collective amygdala, and retracts into darkness.
"...the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself..."
That's good.  I like that.  I have no fear; I am fear.  So, fear me.

No, wait.  Don't run away.  I'm not all bad.  Shhh.  (wink)  You like movies?  You like scary movies?  You like vampire movies?  I know Xeno does.  This is for him.  Kill...

Let me wipe the filth of what Patton did to this beautiful blog with his 'Bad Ass Sci Fi Movie Countdown' by injecting a little pure horror into the mix.

'Let's go by year!', NO!  'Let's do a top 10 or 12 or whatever!', HELL NO!  'Let's stick to the 80s!', FOR F**KS SAKE...okay.

Yeah, there are almost 50 movies that contain at least some element of vampirism given limited to wide release during the blood sucking 80s .  I'm gonna narrow my discussion primarily to three (with a few others thrown in for Nosferatu's nostalgia's sake).

Well, as much as I like suspense, let's puncture this virgin.

  • Fright Night (Released- Aug 2, 1985)- Tom Holland-  This movie sucks you in with an ominous YA, vampire next door feel, but believe me, it's got a nasty heart.  The effects are (mostly) awesome, aside from some prosthetic chomper slurring.  You won't get that from me.  The awkward sexual undertones are also hard to dismiss.  The pervy, cradle-robbing, vampire next door...yeah.  But, it's a creepily fun ride with some cheesy 80s humor, cheesier 80s effects, and the cheesiest 80s new wave soundtrack this side of the next movie I'm gonna talk about.
Nice try, Colin, but the remake sucked, and so do you!
  • The Lost Boys (Released- July 31, 1987)- Joel Schumacher- This is the Brat Pack's vampire movie.  I think if it were remade today, Michael Bay would probably direct it, Cara Delevingne, Nicholas Hoult, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Zak Efron would star, and it would suck...and I would watch it about ten times.  But I digress.  In the actual, original Lost Boys, there's Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Jason Patrick, Alex Winter (Bill & Ted), and of course, Coreys Feldman and Haim.  It's a slick, relatively soulless movie with great effects and a super awesome 80s soundtrack featuring the shirtless, oiled up, saxophone playing Tim Capello doing The Call's 'I Still Believe'.
SO COOL...

  • Near Dark (Released- Oct. 2, 1987)- Kathryn Bigelow- Here's my personal favorite.  It bucks the trend of 80s cheese.  It's dark, but still funny as hell.  And its soundtrack is by far the best of the lot, featuring a score by Tangerine Dream (Risky Business) and John Parr's one awesome 80s hit, 'Naughty Naughty', in the infamous bar scene.  Plus, the movie has Bill Paxton's third most quotable performance (Behind Aliens and Weird Science), Lance Henriksen, Janette Goldstein (Vasquez from Aliens), and Joshua John Miller (the annoying kid from River's Edge).  Bigelow was dating James Cameron at the time, stole a bunch of the actors from Aliens and even put James in the movie as a cameo.  The movie is a slow 'burn'; atmospheric and, at times, slowly paced, but the combined elements really work for me.
Same basic shot as Lost Boys, but somehow, just a little more Bad Ass!
I would throw Lifeforce in there, but stupid Patton already wrote about this sexy, naked, alien vampire movie.  80s vampire movies range from the deranged (Lair of the White Wrom and The Hunger) to the ridiculous (Once Bitten, featuring Jim Carrey, and Vampire's Kiss, starring Nicolas Cage).  To me, discussion about the best vampire movie of the 80s begins and ends with the three movies I mentioned above

But just for hisses and giggles, let's see what you think.  Here's a link to a poll.  Take it!


Now don't bother me...look how cute I was.
Remember that while I'm stealing your breath as you sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment